Wednesday, August 27, 2014

foraging & summer knitting -- tending my yarn garden!


I shared this new book a while back and am excited that we've discovered many edibles growing on our little homestead! Chokecherry, hazelnut, Himalayan blackberry, Oregon grape, and red huckleberry just to name a few. The kids have been picking and eating the red huckleberries ever since we settled here eight years ago, but the others we didn't know were edible. Well, the hazelnuts we knew, but the others were unknowns. The chokecherries are said to be super sour (and are named appropriately, then, I suppose), but they are supposed to be good when combined with other fruits, so we'll just have to see...

That gorgeous yarn is yarn support from KnitPicks for a scarf/wrap pattern I'm working on -- KPs Hawthorne fingering is so soft! It's hard to set down my knitting these days; my fingers just want to keep knitting stitches!  But the abundance of fresh produce from my garden keeps calling my name. So demanding. :) Today we'll be at the river all afternoon, so I'm looking forward to a break from my canner and many uninterrupted hours of knitting in the shade.

And now for my EXCITING knitting news!! My Pumpkin Patch Beanie pattern is finally available!!


So thankful to KnitPicks for yarn support! They're a terrific company (and local to me, too!).

What's on your needles? What have you been reading?
Thankful to be joining Ginny after several weeks away...   :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

13 comments:

  1. fun, the veggies, the beanie... and I think I see one of Wanda's bags?? :))) enjoy all the goodness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep! one of Wanda's handy, adorable bags! Love mine! :)

      Delete
  2. So exciting about the new scarf/wrap pattern! Love the pumpkin beanie. I must make one for each of my granddaughters! We have been talking about foraging in our area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the kind words. ;) I'm planning a foraging post... maybe it would be fun to do some sort of sharing of foraging posts in the near future? Just to learn from one another!!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the beanie pattern Lisa, it's adorable!
    It's nice that you are going to have today to enjoy the lake and knit, have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much, Tracey! :) Good to hear from you...looking forward to catching up with you!

      Delete
  4. love your pumpkin hat, too cute! and that new yarn is delightful! So glad to see you posting again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful, all of it! Chokecherries arw a traditional food for the Yakama people and though I haven't developed a taste for them, my three year old loved them at the last celebration where they were served canned! How fun to have so many edible plants!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your beanie pattern!! Plus, the baby wearing it is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a cute (and timely!!!) little fall hat! (love my 'wanda' bag, too.....they are the best!) enjoy the knit-day! en plein air!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you make preserves, chokecherries make excellent jelly. Also, our bees really love the flowers in the spring.

    I like the shawl, especially the color choice. I'm closing my eyes at the pumpkin, though. I am still in denial about fall. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful yarn! I'm envious that they are local.

    The beanie is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love the pumpkin hat! So cute. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...