Thursday, September 11, 2014

Remember this?

I remember turning on the radio in the bathroom when I woke up that morning. And what I heard led me to dash down the stairs to turn on the TV (we were still in town back then and had cable). Both buildings had been hit by then. And we watched them fall.

25 Most Powerful Photos
25 Most Powerful Photos
25 Most Powerful Photos
"As affecting as is the image of terrorists crashing into buildings in an effort to take as many lives as possible, the image of firemen rushing into those same buildings in an effort to save as many lives as possible is more affecting still. The worst that evil can do is no match for the best that love can do.

The horrors of the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington transfixed the nation—and ultimately changed the nation. But the stories of rescue workers, co-workers, family members, friends, and strangers were even more arresting—and in the end, changed us more. Who could ever forget the poignant sacrifices of the men and women who gave their lives while helping to save others? Or those who ignored their own exhaustion, hunger, and safety to continue their desperate search for survivors? Or those who searched the hospitals, the shelters, and the police stations for some word of their brothers, mothers, neighbors, or friends? Or any of the other evidences of love that suddenly transformed New York City and Washington D.C. emblems of enduring faith and courage? Or any of the demonstrations of compassion, generosity, sympathy, and charity from across the entire nation in the weeks and months afterward?

Evil intended to deal a death blow to our national spirit. But love was a healing balm because it always “bears all things and endures all things.” Evil intended to destroy life and smother hope. But love was enlivening and invigorating because it always “abides in hope.” Evil intended to crush freedom under the rubble of tragedy and despair. But love was able to triumph even in this because it always “covers a multitude of sins."

We must never lose sight of the fact that evil is a very present reality in this poor fallen world. But we must never lose heart. Love remains. And love prevails. Love is the greatest force in the world."

~from Love: A Manifesto of Optimism published yesterday on Grantian Florilegium, the blog of Dr. George Grant (and I encourage you to read the rest here!)
Thankful, praying, remembering. When I was a young school girl in Pittsburgh, I remember the fear we had of the communists, of atomic bombs, and how our teacher instructed us to tuck under our desks (as if our desks would've saved us...). We thought they would, I guess, and so we climbed underneath and then played kickball after lunch. We were kids.

Fast forward to today. We live in scary times. What started 13 years ago today continues. But in reality, it's been going on for much longer than just the past 13 years.

And as I sip coffee and type, a warm breeze blows outside my office window. I can hear the delightful sounds of our piano as AnnaLynn's fingers dance over the keys. Daniel is in the garden picking a late crop of raspberries and green beans. Dan is somewhere in the county curing someone's electrical woe.
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. ~2 Timothy 1:7
The Lord God is in Heaven. In fact, He sits in the heavens and laughs (Psalm 2)!

And as Dr. Grant so eloquently reminds us, love prevails. :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

10 comments:

  1. I remember as well. I was sitting in our living room talking with my mother (she stopped by for a visit), and my husband phoned me from work, asking if I had the TV on. When I told him no, and asked him why, he just said to turn it on. I asked him what channel, and he said it didn't matter. I couldn't believe what my eyes saw! And I knew, then and there, that our world would never be the same again. I live in Canada, and the effects were felt here as well. I'm sure the effects were felt everywhere in the world. Evil does that. But, as you have so eloquently typed, love does so much more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, it was on every channel...it didn't matter. I remember being paralyzed with fear for days, weeks, months. So thankful for the love and peace that passes all understanding! As I remember, many folks were stranded in Canada when the US shut down our air space. The skies were clear for days until they lifted it. So surreal. Thanks for sharing your story, Sue! Have a blessed weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. I remember it very well. I was actually on an appt (selling office furniture) to the INS (now ICE) department, downtown Miami, FL. I sat with them in the lunch room watching the second plane hit. One of them muttered; "just watch, they'll pin this on us!". Yep, they did. I got out of the building before they locked it down for the rest of the week. I'll never forget it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How scary! Of course, being on the west coast, we were all just waking up that morning. Thank you for sharing your story, Izzy. So glad you got out in time! Scary! Have a great weekend at the Compound, my friend. :)

      Delete
  3. We must not forget, ever. Although peril is a threat on duty 24/7, while we should not forget, let us not live in fear, so we are ready to live a life of honest intention to self and all others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right...we must never forget! I imagine 9/11 must be much like what it was like for our parents and grandparents during WWII and Pearl Harbor. So thankful to live in America -- the land of the free and the home of the brave. :)

      Delete
  4. Life changed for us as a nation after that day. I remember the scary unsure feeling. Like we might never feel safe again. After all the scary times it was wonderful to hear all the stories of love that happened during and after. It's those stories that we need to hold onto. May you continue to have a peace-filled day Lisa <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Donna! It was such an uncertain and scary feeling, to be sure. Sending hugs your way, my friend. :)

      Delete
  5. I lived through it...not something that I will ever forget. m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria! Thanks for keeping in touch. Anytime you want, feel free to send me an email (happyindolevalley@gmail.com) -- would love to stay in touch!! Were you in NY on that day?
      xo Lisa

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...