Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Tending my yarn garden...



With school starting, mountains of tomatoes to turn into sauce, and the rest of life to navigate, I have made little progress on either my brown baby cardi or my Silverstar wrap. :( 

But it's all good. We're leaving on Friday morning for a weekend road trip (will share on Monday) that will provide tons of car-knitting time since I won't be in the driver's seat. Lord willing, both these projects will be FO's by next Wednesday since both are close! Holiday knitting is calling, and new pattern ideas are demanding to be tried out -- time to make up some swatches! Honestly, I don't like swatching very much, but I'm forcing myself since I really think it helps. Do you swatch?

The Old Man and the Sea is the first of a long list of American literature selections we'll be reading this year... It's going to be a good year. I picked the Hemingway to start with since it's an easy read, and being a rather short story, a quick one to finish to give my AnnaLynn an early success. You may have noticed, if you follow my Yarn Along posts, that I'm not a big literature person...this is the year we hope to remedy that. I'm combining two literature resources this year: Teaching Language Arts through Literature's Gold Book which is based on American lit. and Omnibus III. Because I'll be reading along with Daniel and Anna, I needed to combine to be sure we were reading books that met all our interest levels. And despite early grumbles from my horse loving girl (who always has a horse book on her nightstand), she's actually liking our first pick! What resources do you or have you used for American lit?  :)

Before I sign off, I have to make sure you didn't miss my big announcement made earlier today...my Chevron Cherub Wrap pattern is now available, and it's freeThanks for all the sweet comments, my friends!!


What's on your needles? What have you been reading?
Joining Ginny  :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

24 comments:

  1. Love the pattern!! I off to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chevron is back in a big way, your cherub wrap is very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the new pattern Lisa! I'm so excited for you. Enjoy your trip. I hope you get lots of car knitting done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great trip! Loving the Silverstar Wrap and new pattern! I am hoping to make a list of great literary reads for our homeschool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the baby cardi- such pretty color for this fall season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Lisa,
    Every time I stop by to visit, I get an insatiable desire to learn how to knit *sigh*
    However, until I have time to learn a new thing, I will have to be contented with crocheting. :)
    Have a blessed trip, and I hope you gets tons of knitting done!
    Love to you,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the new pattern publication!

    We have had two road trips, one of them with over 45 hours of driving, and I just couldn't get much knitting or crocheting done. It's been an emotional and distracting time for us lately.

    Your book suggestions are timely for me. I'm working on including more study of literature, we've done alright in reading, and am also reading How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare based on a Yarn Along recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how lovely, the car knitting in your future!! and that pattern you did is lovely!!! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pattern is a real delight. Have a great trip and hopefully you will get a lot of knitting done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember reading The Old Man and the Sea in high school.

    Just a suggestion but, I listen to a podcast called CraftLit, which reads and discusses the books that we may (or may not) have read in school. There is also discussion about each chapter(s) in the episodes. You can find it here: http://www.craftlit.com/

    I swear, if not for this podcast, I would never have read Dracula. I'm going to start Frankenstein soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! That Chevron blanket very beautiful! I need to make that- I love the yellow colorway!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the chevron blanket!

    If you'd like, I'd love to have you link up at my Yarn Fanatic Party. http://philwife.blogspot.com/2014/09/yarn-fanatic-party-8.htm

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your newest pattern! It looks fantastic and I will have to add it to my queue. :-)

    I have started doing swatches because I am such a tight knitter. :-( They are not my favorite part of knitting. :-)

    I hope you have a great road trip and get lots of knitting in. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The chevron blanket looks beautiful! I have heard of the Old Man and the Sea, but never read it. It looks interesting! I hope you have a great road trip! Happy travels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. very very sweet pattern....i think that might have to be the next baby blanket i make! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  16. My oldest son read Hemingway during his high school years...he enjoyed it ;-) Take your time knitting such lovely projects and enjoy your road trip.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Safe travels and I hope you finish both on your secret trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lisa! I'm still alive, LOL! I've missed your blog, been so busy and then hurt my back, so couldn't do much time on the computer, only the critically-necessary ;-) I'm still hurting, but it's getting better. I've recently finished "Surprised By Oxford" by Carolyn Weber...FABULOUS book! Hope you have a wonderful road trip and get all your knitting finished...love the chevron pattern! {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lisa!! Oh my gosh... so nice to meet you! I'll be thinking of you at Indy Knit and Spin. Adding you to my blog roll as well. Wishing you a most wonderful week and congrats on such a lovely pattern!
    Best,
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  20. Enjoy your trip. Hope you get loads of knitting done. I love that Chevron Cherub Wrap. Beautiful. Adorable baby also.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH! The blanket is wonderful! Thanks for sharing the pattern with us... I get these busy days. I hope your trip is a fun one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on releasing your first pattern - and it is free!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's always fun to see your knitting. I like the handsome little cardi. And the Chevron Cherub has pure pizazz (notice the chevrons in this word? he, he)
    Yes, I make a swatch for each project. Aren't I a good girl? Even a difference of half an inch in St-per-Inch will change the size of a sweater significantly overall - so warns Elizabeth Zimmerman in her "Knitting Without Tears." I've never forgotten her adamant warning. I usually have to go down a needle size to get the right tension.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Old Man & The Sea was required reading when I was in 8th grade and I didn't like it at all. I remember reading Wuthering Heights at the same time and wishing that was required reading instead.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...