Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Tending my yarn garden
1/21/15



Last week's Cotlin has been cast on, finally. I love working with this yarn and am enjoying the process of creating a beanie pattern to match the cardi I knit for baby Tucker a while back. [Ravelry] Secret projects are still in the works!

I'm almost halfway through the first Mitford book which I look forward to picking up off my nightstand when I climb in bed, my morning Bible reading is still going strong, but I figured I'd best share something new this week. The latest Mother Earth News arrived in my mailbox Tuesday; I'm looking forward to curling up with a cup of tea by my woodstove and reading it cover to cover. I'm especially interested in the article about pairing vegetables and flowers which I've done the past two years purposefully with great success...marigolds with tomatoes and cukes with cosmos. Have you begun garden planning yet?

The skies have been mostly clear here which means it's been cold; I snapped the top pic after taking my Yarn Along picture out on our front porch...late afternoon with the sun having gone down behind the mountains. So pretty. :)

Joining Ginny :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

21 comments:

  1. Mother Earth News is one of my Mike's favorites to read, very informative.
    Yes, we are getting ready to plan spinach and peas in the garden. Truthfully, we should have already had the ground plowed and planted, but we have been so wet the tractor wouldn't stand up in the field. I am not excited that winter will be coming to a close soon, I want lots more winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vote for more winter, too, since we haven't had much of one here in the foothills. I want some snow!

      Delete
  2. i think i need to grab a copy of this...what do they say about recycling? how can it NOT be worth it????! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that piece yet, Steph, but I'm in agreement with you. I think in times past there wasn't so wasted packaging, etc., and people just saved and reused everything they could. One reason I like to buy in bulk is to avoid filling my garbage and recycling bins with all the packaging. ;)

      Delete
  3. My Mother Earth News arrived too! I can't wait to sit down with it soon! Love the sweet little hat! Garden planning has begun here! I mix flowers & vegetables too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which combinations have you had success with? I'm always looking to try new combos! :)

      Delete
  4. my dad has read that magazine for decades. Good luck with your vegetable garden this year. Love the color of your knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Decades...makes me feel oldish, but then I've lived through five of them now! :)

      Delete
  5. Doesn't the gorgeous weather make you feel so good inside?! I'm loving all the sunshine this week.
    I like that yarn color and pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Wish I had more time to spend outside even though it is c-o-l-d!

      Delete
  6. Love Mother Earth News! Garden planning is so much fun, but then comes the hard work! Good luck and look forward to some pics soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardening is hard work, but so worth it!

      Delete
  7. Hello. Your knitting project looks lovely. I'm sure it''s cold if you don't have rain. Thank you for the tip on planting veggies with flowers. Enjoy your day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and for the kind words! Hope you do give the flowers & veggies mixing a try. :)

      Delete
  8. I love Mother Earth News. Especially around this time of year. It makes me hopeful for warmer days outside soon to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warmer days will be here before we know it, Donna! I'm content with winter and am in no hurry. :)

      Delete
  9. Mother Earth has been a read for me for decades,great yarn color

    ReplyDelete
  10. You live in a beautiful place! Where I live we don't have mountains, so I do miss them fiercely! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! I'd miss mountains if I didn't have them, too. :)

      Delete
  11. lovely picture ... the outdoors is so restorative! The Mitford books are wonderful! As is knitting and reading!!! How fun to be making a beanie pattern and that yarn colour is lovely! :)))) Have a great day today!!! (ps: responded to your question in my blog post).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...