Tuesday, January 6, 2015

two months later...
{happy new year}

2015! Happy new year!!

Here it is just over two months since I last spent any time here in this space, and we're almost a full week into the new year. I figured that if I didn't pop in now, that if I didn't post something, I might never make it back. So here I am, and I hope you'll pardon my extended, unexpected absence. I didn't mean to be away for so long. It just happened. Life just has a way of happening, don't you know. Lessons, and good books, and lots of time with family. Good food and lots of cooking, baking, and pantry organizing. Celebrating Thanksgiving with a houseful and Advent and Christmas with loved ones gathered near. Lots and lots of knitting and crocheting. To be sure, lots of ordinary, glorious life happened. What wasn't typical was the opening of a little vendor space in a local shop in Battle Ground together with my baby sister back in October; a decision that, while I'm glad I made it, consumed my time, and something had to give.

So here I am, and sadly, I don't have a single picture to attach to this post. While I can't promise to be here often, I do hope to post more regularly again. I miss the weekly Yarn Along, so I plan to share there when time permits. Maybe I'll share some recipes like I used to, maybe thoughtful quotes from my reading, maybe expressions of gratitude, maybe I'll journal about our garden and homestead. Maybe.

To get things started, I'm joining Kathleen (a day late) in a new series she's calling {Mindful Mondays} where she's sharing the things she's "doing, thinking, and creating together in one space. A good starting place for the week and a way to ease into Monday." (Thanks for the inspiration, Kathleen!) :) Here goes...

What I am:

Reading: At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon -- I picked up the entire eight-book collection at the Goodwill right after Christmas! I'm also embarking on a two-year read through the Bible that our pastor put together for our congregation.

Listening to: The kids and I are enjoying old Gileskirk Modernity humanities lectures by Dr. George Grant who teaches at the Franklin Classical School in Franklin, Tennessee. I've never met him nor been to his school, but we have used Dr. G's humanities lectures for years and have learned so, so much. RCJR's podcast, Jesus Changes Everything, is pretty much a daily listen; I highly commend both to you for your edification. :)

Studying: Other than studying along with my kiddos in our homeschool, I, like Kathleen, have my seed catalogs out and am dreaming of warmer, longer days out in my gardens. I'm also enjoying a class on Craftsy!

Creating: I'm reworking a beanie I knit for Charlotte that needed to be just a wee bit longer...that girl's noggin is a little bigger than I thought when I knit up her deep purple Christmas beanie. :) I've got a few knitting patterns in the works, but I've enjoyed the simplicity of knitting washcloths to restock my kitchen drawer. Oh, I almost forgot...AnnaLynn and I made two batches of soap last Saturday.

Cooking: Spaghetti made with homemade tomato sauce from our pantry -- there's nothing like opening a jar of sauce you've canned from tomatoes from your own garden! :)

Educating: We dove back in to lessons yesterday after a long Christmas holiday...time to clean out the cobwebs!

Feeling: Invigorated by that long holiday break and eager to get back into routine.

Thinking: About the wee one who is due to be born the first week of February -- our second grandchild! Reflecting on God's kindness to us!

Remembering: (I'm adding this one.) The joy and laughter of a Friday night dance we attended with friends, of a hall filled with the laughing, stomping, and twirling of the Virginia Reel and other such delightful dances. :)

Many blessings to you all in the new year!

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad life has been full of wonderful "lifyness" for you. Happy New Year to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Lisa! I was just thinking about you yesterday and here you are today, I love it!
    It was nice to catch up and I'm glad to hear life is happening where you are in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are sweet, Tracey. :) I've often thought of all my friends here in blogland and have wanted so much to find the time to catch up...so thankful that time has finally been provided. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year! I am so glad that you are doing well! I miss reading your knitting posts. Wishing you a lovely 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are sweet, Melissa. :) A happy and crafty new year to you, too!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for joining up! We had homemade pizza the other night with sauce from our garden. It was divine and it makes me miss my garden. I am glad that life has been good to you all over the holidays and many blessings in the upcoming year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathleen! I sure appreciate the inspiration your post provided and look forward to joining you on Mondays. :)

      Delete
  5. Yay for a catchup post. What do you have for sale in your vendor space? I made batches of soap recently too and am wishing I could sit and knit all day :) Special yarn has been ordered with Christmas money, so I check the post eagerly each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting for yarn...oh, the anticipation! Hope you'll share on your blog what you make with it! Happy new year, Sarah!

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year Lisa! I am glad that you are doing well. :) mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you, dear Mari. :) You have so often been in my thoughts! A most joyful and peace-filled new year to you and yours!

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...