Wednesday, March 11, 2015

tending my yarn garden...




Another secret project and a new book! I don't often buy new books, but while browsing the book tables at Costco, I discovered A Memory of Violets and couldn't leave the store without it. Violets are in bloom right now, you know. :)
In 1912, twenty-year-old Tilly Harper leaves the peace and beauty of her native Lake District for London, to become assistant housemother at Mr. Shaw’s Home for Watercress and Flower Girls. For years, the home has cared for London’s flower girls—orphaned and crippled children living on the grimy streets and selling posies of violets and watercress to survive. 
Soon after she arrives, Tilly discovers a diary written by an orphan named Florrie—a young Irish flower girl who died of a broken heart after she and her sister, Rosie, were separated. Moved by Florrie’s pain and all she endured in her brief life, Tilly sets out to discover what happened to Rosie. But the search will not be easy. Full of twists and surprises, it leads the caring and determined young woman into unexpected places, including the depths of her own heart. (from the back cover of the book)
Sounds so good! The blue book, Under Fire, is about the terrorist attack on the US embassy in Benghazi. I heard about this title during a radio interview a few weeks ago and have more skimmed than read it. Technical but definitely interesting and enlightening.

All my knitting projects have taken a back seat to the secret project (yes, another one) in the photo above...a little something for Linnea. :)  I just love knitting for my granddaughters!

What have you been reading and knitting this week?

Joining Ginny :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

PS: Some of my links are associate links. If you click and make a purchase, I will receive a couple pennies for providing the link. Thanks for your support! :)

13 comments:

  1. Our secret knitting is so fun!!!! I must find that book. It sounds very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Memory of Violets is on my "to read" list! Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your secret knitting is delightful! love the book you are reading, looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, another book I need to read! Sounds great, but I would need to read 24 hours a day to keep up with the Yarn Along recommendations! Look forward to seeing the secret knitting when it is not so secret.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how could you NOT pick up a book about the home for watercress and flower girls?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello. This book sounds like a wonderful read. I'm going to Costco today so maybe I'll pick up a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard to pass up those Costco deals sometimes. I can't wait to see what your little project for Linnea turns out to be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh fun project! that yarn looks really nice! that book sounds intriguing!!! put it on my for later list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that book sounds promising! It is likely to find its way onto my library list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your keeping us all in suspense! I can't wait to find out what the secret project is, it looks beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love secret knitting and also the sound of your book, it's going own my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm waiting for my yarn to arrive so I can start knitting. The wait is driving me nuts!
    Your book sounds very interesting, right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A Memory of Violets sound intriguing. Yes, I am finishing a jacket for my daughter's baby to be, who we heard will be a girl (after two boys who play cowboys and indians). It has a blackberry stitch edge which done up in white angora looks a bit like (dare I say the word) snow. Your knitting is keeping your readers in suspense.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...