Tuesday, April 28, 2015

homestead update...








Lots of bloom and growth outside my windows these days which puts a smile on my face despite the fact that the deer stopped by one night and ate all but two stems of my bluebells. You can see the evidence in the bottom pic...so frustrating! Lettuces are coming along; a little late this year, but that's ok. If you're wondering, we grow French crisp along with a few varieties of romaine. My spinach and peas were a fail, but that is due to my being sick early in April which kept me out of the garden. Oh well. There is still time to plant again which I plan to do asap.





Unexpected sunshine on Saturday provided the opportunity to fill my hanging baskets with fuchsia and calibrachoa (million bells) starts. (As an aside, the link is to an article about growing and propagating calibrachoa which thrills me since they are expensive! I'm planning to try this once my plants get a little more growth on them.)  Back in 2012, I shared a tutorial for refreshing the soil in last year's planters as well as some tips for growing calibrachoa baskets which you can find here. :)

The herb garden is growing nicely; I discovered a few volunteer garlic plants from bulbs that must have escaped harvest last summer. Chives are getting ready to bloom which always looks so pretty, chamomile and echinacea volunteers are growing like crazy, and my lavender is looking lush and full of promise!

Our weather has been finicky here in the foothills; at the tail end of April, we've had snow in the higher elevations (Silverstar and Larch Mountains) which has brought near freezing temps at our place during the night. Rain, sun, rainbows (!!), clouds, storms, wind, and then mild temperatures (it was 80 on Monday!) have me exercising caution about starting the garden too early. There is plenty of time...

How does your garden grow?

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

http://anoregoncottage.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/CoHosted-Tuesday-Garden-Party_150.png

7 comments:

  1. There will be so many changes in the coming weeks in the gardens! Yours look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Melynda! Enjoying the cool rain we've had since Monday's heat...I'm just not ready for 80 degree days!

      Delete
  2. Very lovely! Enjoy reading your blog!!!! Blessings from Kansas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Gail! Thanks for visiting all the way from Kansas. :)

      Delete
  3. Lisa, your garden looks lovely and healthy! does your hens and chicks survive the winters? Here they will if in the ground (but not a planter), and they are protected somehow. Love the photos, sweet friend! Do try the extract again, but don't steep it very long: http://www.deeprootsathome.com/make-your-own-non-processed-stevia-extract-2/ I think that may be the problem, but since you grow it, keep trying! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqueline, yes, my hens and chicks survive. Our winters are fairly mild, but even when we do have a freeze or heavy snows, they do fine. I've not grown them in a planter, though, so I don't know if they would survive if grown that way. Mine are in the ground. Thanks for the encouragement about the stevia extract...will definitely try it again!
      xo Lisa :)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous5/13/2015

    Hi we live on dole valy road as well. I'm dianna we have a small off grid farmstead :) with rabbit chickens horses donkeys goats and pigs. I'm on face book. Dianna marsolek

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...