Wednesday, April 15, 2015

tending my yarn garden...






I don't know about you, but when I'm not feeling well, I tend to get a lot of reading in. Knitting? Not so much...requires too much concentration, don't you know. :) Anyway, during my extended season of being under the weather, I finished four books altogether.   A Memory of Violets was a wonderful read that I loved in every way, even how it came to an end. The Nightingale was a page turner; in fact, over the course of two insomnia-dominated nights, I finished the book. Over the past couple of years, I've found myself drawn to stories about WWII and how the women survived, attempting to maintain any sense of normalcy in the midst of chaos. We have it easy. Too easy? I don't know. Other reading included books 3 and 4 of the Mitford series by Jan Karon -- a nice departure from The Nightingale. I'm currently half way through Mitford #5 and am re-reading The Help.

It's been a while since I shared any knitting, in fact, it was March 11, to be exact. The beautiful project I was hard at work on that day was a baptismal gown for Linnea Darlene, our adorable second grandbaby. :)  I've written down all my notes and am working on the next size up since I've had requests for the pattern. :)  It was a labor of love that I'm proud of and look forward to sharing. Another secret project which I started back in February is also complete (rose-colored scarf above). And finally, a project (the blue...) that has been worked and reworked until I was almost sick of it but now that it's finished and I love it!! I'll be getting together with my Jessica later this week, Lord willing, for a proper photo shoot, so stay tuned!

I still have a few projects in progress (a headband for Charlotte, a cardigan for a friend's baby, a bonnet for Linnea, and two projects that will remain secret for now). I'm looking forward to wrapping these projects up so I can cast on something new. Nothing like a clean slate!

Ravelry notes here. Joining Ginny :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

PS: Some of my links are associate links. If you click and make a purchase, I will receive a couple pennies for providing the link. Thanks for your support!

24 comments:

  1. So many beautiful knitting projects! The baptismal gown is beautiful and so well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The baptismal gown is gorgeous, just gorgeous. I hope you are finally on the mend. God's Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the mend, indeed! Thanks, Izzy. :)

      Delete
  3. Such lovely projects. The baptismal gown is gorgeous and so special. It will be treasured forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Your work is truly stunning. That gown is mind blowing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nightingale must be on my to-read list....so many have recommended it! Lovely lovely knits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooo beautiful. I'm drooling over that gown! I'm sorry that you were sick for so long but glad to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nightingale is on my list of reads. I know what you mean about being sick and not knitting...I had a nasty sinus infection and thought I would get a lot of knitting done. Nope. Not one stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Lisa that gown is stunning!!! I'm glad you are feeling better and that you got lots of reading done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Nightingale is one of my favorite books of the year, I loved it.
    Lisa, I am in awe of the gown you knit, it is so beautiful and what an heirloom to pass on. My grands all wear the gown my mother in law sewed and it is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the gown and the scarves, so pretty and airy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That baptismal gown is just gorgeous. Makes me wish I had someone little and female to knit for.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is a very beautiful baptismal gown!!! wow! I think I may need to read some Mitford again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitford is a place I wander to when life gets crazy. I haven't read any of her newer books, but hope to remedy that soon!

      Delete
  13. Lovely baptismal gown! Love the scarf and wrap! Must knit them both! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful projects! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is all so lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The baptismal gown is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my, ladies, I am overwhelmed at your kind words about my baptismal gown!!!! Truly!! Thank you, thank you...
    xo Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful Christening gown. I crocheted one for my son many years ago and my daughter wore it also. I hope they use it for their future children. I am sure that will be a cherished keepsake. I have just started reading the Mitford series and I love Kristen Hannah's books.

    ReplyDelete
  19. All of your knits are gorgeous, especially the dress. Sorry you weren't feeling well for so long. Glad to see you in my blog feed again :)

    I look forward to the day when I can sit and enjoy a nice, meaty book. Right now they have to be short stories, something I can easily put down and pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you are feeling much better now. The christening dress is stunning, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lisa, I nominated you for One Lovely Blog Award. You can find more information here: http://cathiescraftworks.blogspot.com/
    Cathie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...