Wednesday, April 22, 2015

tending my yarn garden...





I mentioned last week that I was creating a wee bonnet for my second grand, Linnea, and I'm so happy that it's finished! I did have to reknit the strap which was a tad too short, but now it's done and she can wear it on her cute little noggin. :)  KnitPick's Comfy Worsted in flamingo was perfect for this project -- super soft and a lovely color for a baby girl! I also finished a headband for big sister Charlotte and made one, sans flower, for my AnnaLynn, too. :)  Other projects still in the works include several secrets, and that baby cardi for my friend's baby boy (who isn't getting any smaller). Hopefully, I can get a photo of the girls to share!

While I'm still deep in the world of Mitford (and I'm still rereading The Help, too), I wanted to share what I've been reading with my AnnaLynn this year. As the school year begins its wind down, I find I grow sentimental about what we've read and learned and wonder if I'm the only one...

True Beauty by Carolyn Mahaney and Nicole Whitacre takes a look at beauty from the perspective of the Word and how "true beauty" relates to the culture, our clothes, our works, our hearts, etc. While homeschooling all these years has certainly helped with peer pressure to cultural and worldly trends in beauty, we don't live in a vacuum. I cannot more highly recommend this book!

Beautiful Girlhood by Karen Andreola is one we've ready before, but it's a charming treasure trove of encouragement for moms and young ladies as moms help their daughters walk through the early teen years. The subject matter is perfect for a first read through with your girl around age 10, then do a read through at 12 and then another one at 14 or 15. AnnaLynn has shared how differently she thinks about things this time through (at 14) as compared with when we last read it a couple years ago. I haven't mentioned before, at least I don't think I have, that I've been leading a small group study through this wonderful book using The Companion Guide to Beautiful Girlhood by Shelley Noonan and Kimberly Zach. Both are highly recommended!!

Finally, mornings always begin in The Word -- a Psalm and a Proverb. What better way to start the day? What better way to focus and find perspective for the day?

O God, You are my God; early will I seek you; my soul thirsts for you;
My flesh longs for you in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water.
So I have looked for You in the sanctuary. To see Your power and Your glory.
Because Your lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise You.
Thus I will bless You while I live; I will life up my hands in Your name.
My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness,
And my mouth shall praise You with joyful lips.

~Psalm 63:1-5

Joining Ginny :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

PS: Some of my links are associate links. If you click and make a purchase, I will receive a couple pennies for providing the link. Thanks for your support! :)

17 comments:

  1. that little hat just makes my heart swell, so little and sweet! I should re read the help, a great book!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lisa, the wee hat is just so precious. I think knitting for grands is so much fun!
    I loved The Help, the book and the movie, which almost never happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, you should re-read it; Tracey, I loved the movie, too, in fact, I watched it during my recent season of illness just after I had just started the book...couldn't resist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love baby knitting! It makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Starting your day with The Word of Our God, begins the day off right! Thank you so much for sharing my dear friend :0) mari

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely knits! I love the Psalter! I totally can see one getting nostoglic when looking over a year's homeschooling accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a sweet pink hat for your little one. The seasons are moving along fast, your already talking about the school year winding down.......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww... So sweet! The hat, sweater, and band are wonderful, and the colors are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the baby hat...so cute!

    Your choice for Scripture is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am also going to re-read The Help too, It's such a great book! Your knitting looks so beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa. :) Did you ever see the movie? Equally as good as the book!

      Delete
  11. and besides all those great knits....just look at that doily! crocheted? by you? yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steph, that doily was actually made by my grandma on my dad's side. Both my grandmas were prolific crocheters; I am blessed to have had some of their handiwork passed down to me. :)

      Delete
  12. Beautiful knits! And thanks so much for sharing the book suggestions. My daughter is nine, and I've actually been wondering about all of those books you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I try to seek Him early in the morning but sleep sometimes wins :(
    What pretty knits for the grand babies. I still have not read the Help yet. I have heard such good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all your projects, especially the headband - very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...