Friday, May 1, 2015

seven things, ten people, and an award :)


How fun is this? Recently I was nominated by Cathie at Cathie's Craftworks for the One Lovely Blog Award -- thanks, Cathie! So sweet of you. :) Cathie is a blogger and private math tutor who enjoys crocheting, quilting, knitting, crafting, baking, and reading; she and her husband make their home on Long Island in New York state. I've never been to New York state or anywhere in New England north of Pennsyvania... maybe someday!
The purpose of this award is for bloggers to nominate fellow, mostly newer, bloggers that they wish to recognize. The goal is to bring attention to blogs that we think are "lovely" and enjoy reading. We hope others will enjoy reading these blogs also.
In order to accept the award, the nominated blogger must follow these rules:
  • Thank the person who nominated you & link back to them in your post 
  • Share seven facts about yourself
  • Nominate 10 other bloggers for the award
Here are my seven facts:
  1. I live deep in the Cascade Foothills of SW Washington state surrounded by miles and miles of Douglas Fir (which makes for easy access to firewood and terrific stargazing since we are far from the city lights!)
  2. I was born in Braddock, PA, and am fond of all things Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania; in fact, two years ago when we visited there, I cried when I saw the "Welcome to Pennsylvania" sign!
  3. I am mom to five and Baba to two (so far); besides being a wife, there is nothing I would rather do with my time than be a mom and grandma :)
  4. My knitting (and/or crocheting) goes with me pretty much everywhere; I enjoy creating lovely things for my granddaughters as well as making up my own patterns; whenever I have free time, I'm usually knitting if I'm not out in the garden :)
  5. I was the fastest kid at the Vashon Island elementary school while in the sixth grade (yes, even faster than the boys) and was a "track star" (ha!) in middle school and jr. high where, for years, I held a record for the 220 (does that age me, or what?!!); my fastest time was 27.7 which isn't so fast by today's standards, but at 14, I dreamt of the Olympics... LOL! High school track brought me to reality and I quit. Wish I hadn't... :)
  6. We have homeschooled for almost 23 years now which means that, including my years in school and college, so far I've spent 37 years in school...good thing I enjoy it!
  7. I tend toward melancholy and have to work, to purpose, in fact, to be joyful, thankful, and happy; I named my blog "Happy" in Dole Valley because, really, who would want to read, "Melancholy" in Dole Valley? Ha! 
And in no particular order, here are my blog nominations; not all of these are necessarily "newer blogs" so in a way I'm breaking the rules... I'm ok with that. :)
  1. Ranee @ Arabian Knits -- Ranee is a fellow Washingtonian who knits and crochets and writes lovely patterns!
  2. Karen @ Moments with Mother Culture -- Karen is an author who lives in Amish country in Pennsylvania; her books, like her blog, are a balm to the homeschooling mom's soul. :)
  3. Jayne @ Adventures at Tiny Toadstool Cottage -- Jayne knits, blogs, and farms in the land down under!
  4. Herrick @ The Deliberate Agrarian -- Herrick is an entrepreneur and author who blogs, gardens, and sells American made clothespins from his home in New York state. He writes about the economy and history and is a good source for agrarian and self-sufficiency encouragement.
  5. Izzy @ The Compound -- Izzy is a mom who blogs, gardens, and raises pigs, chickens, and rabbits somewhere in sunny Florida! 
  6. Maria @ The Gentle Art of Living Slowly -- Maria is an amazing seamstress, a long-time blogger, and is momma to three; this sweet lady lives in my homestate!
  7. Sarah @ Gentle Home -- Another Pennsylvanian! Sarah doesn't post super often, but she's a sweet lady who knits and gardens and homeschools her sweeties. I met Sarah through a blogswap!
  8. Darcel @ The Mahogany Way --  Darcel is an amazing woman raising and unschooling her three sweet children somewhere in Virginia; Darcel is also a talented knitter!
  9. Shara @ Mama's Mission -- Oh my, I think I "met" Shara when I very first started blogging! She's a woman on a mission who creates lovely things with yarn and cooks up a storm in North Carolina :)
  10. Melissa @ Melissa Marie Knits -- Melissa is a lovely 17 year old senior who I've recently become acquainted with; she's a sweet young lady who enjoys good books, knitting, blogging, and creating artsy  memory books and scrapbook pages. Melissa lives in New York and recently completed knitting her very first sweater!
Thanks to each of you for brightening my days and inspiring me each in your own unique ways -- it is a joy to know you all!

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful learning a bit more about you my friend, great list.
    Have a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You blog is wonderful, and I have found several new ones to follow because I follow you...thanks!

    And being a NaNa (Baba) is wonderful 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a track star ! Thank you so much for thinking if my little space. You are a treasure sweet Lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for pointing people in my direction! I've really been enjoying getting to "know" you a little through your blog and ravelry. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. fun! :) enjoyed reading your list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the award and for the lovely things you've said about me. You put a smile on my face! I enjoyed learning more about you and chuckled at Melancholy in Dole Valley. Looking forward to checking out the other bloggers you nominated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for nominating me! I loved your list. I particularly relate to number 7 as that would be me too! I need to keep busy and my blog is really helping me 'talk' to other like-minded people. Wow, 37 years in school! I loved homeschooling; it was so rewarding and I really miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for nominating me! I loved your list. I particularly relate to number 7 as that would be me too! I need to keep busy and my blog is really helping me 'talk' to other like-minded people. Wow, 37 years in school! I loved homeschooling; it was so rewarding and I really miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss the stargazing we used to do in Maine. So far from the city we could easily see the Milky-Way. Breathtaking.

    I can sympathize with your assessment of yourself toward melancholy. The shadow of your melancholy may not be the same as mine. But for me, being an idealist I think sometimes makes me a pessimist. It helps me to contemplate our Lord's perfect character and until we meet Him face-to-face I want to be grateful for what beauty and blessings that can still be recognized in this sadly fallen world. This is my "effort."

    It is an honor to be listed among your list of lovely blogs. I look forward to visiting those on your list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...