Monday, June 22, 2015

...and some things that made me smile :)

Earlier this month on a warm spring day...







...splashing to cool off was the perfect thing to do. Oh, how I love this girl! :)

Happy Monday! On Friday I shared something that made my AnnaLynn smile, so I figured today was as good a day as any to share some things that made me smile. These photos were taken the same afternoon as the Belmont when we had family here for the weekend; four generations together which also makes me smile. Today just happens to be Miss Charlotte's 2nd birthday -- a third reason to smile. :)

Have you read or seen The Book Thief?
While subjected to the horrors of World War II Germany, young Liesel finds solace by stealing books and sharing them with others. In the basement of her home, a Jewish refugee is being sheltered by her adoptive parents.
We saw the trailer a while back and picked up the dvd while at the library last week, AnnaLynn's reading the book, and even though she's not quite finished, we watched the movie on Friday evening (yes, more WWII for me). It's quite an interesting story and well acted -- Geoffrey Rush is amazing (IMDb here and trailer here)!

Other weekend happenings included:

Working the garden: weeding the corn patch and spreading wood chips here and there to keep the weeds at bay. Picking strawberries, basil, and lettuces.

Dancing: we attended an English country dance hosted by a family in our church to celebrate the beginning of summer -- yes!! Welcome summer!

Feasting: grilled burgers, corn on the cob, and watermelon for Father's Day -- delicious! Yes, AnnaLynn and I both took a no-guilt break from our grain-free diet.

Joining Karen, feeling blessed, and looking forward to a slow day...

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

19 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to Miss Charlotte! She is just so precious Lisa.
    I should be weeding the vegetable garden, but to tell you the truth, I am
    kind of over gardening right now. It is just too hot and humid to enjoy any
    activity for long outside. Today I am making more preserves and then
    I really need to do some floor scrubbing. Omg, my floors are a mess.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is mild here today, but later this week and into the weekend it's supposed to hit triple digits. :( I avoid too much time in the sun, so all my gardening is accomplished in the early morning while it's still cool and the sun is low in the sky. Hope it cools down for you soon!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Charlotte! She is so cute! I haven't read the Book Thief or watched the movie yet but I have heard so many good things about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa :) I haven't read the book either, but if the movie is true to it, it should be good. Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. What a sweet little punkin. Sounds like you had a very fun and productive weekend.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! It was my favorite kind of weekend: productive AND fun. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness Lisa, she has grown so much. Miss Charlotte is a cutie pie! :D happy birthday little one :) mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mari. She really is growing up! I need to share some pics of baby sis Linnea soon... Have a good week in PA, my friend,
      Lisa :)

      Delete
  5. love the photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Kinda dark due to being in the shade, but wonderful all the same! :)

      Delete
  6. What a little honey bun!!!! (Love the pigtails!!!) I must admit, if I were there, I'd at least have my feet in that pool with her!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the pigtails! That girl was born with a full head of hair and has more than any of my babies did at her age. Thanks for "stopping by" Steph! :)

      Delete
  7. Oh my, those pool photos are too gorgeous! Sounds like you are having a lovely summer.
    Yes, love The Book Thief and love Geoffrey Rush. I haven't seen a movie of his that I haven't liked. You should see if you can get a movie called Shine with Geoffrey. One of his first movies, but not sure if it was only released in Australia.
    I met Marcus Zusak when his first novel was released in 1999 and he did a reading at our local library - before he was famous! I can't wait for his new novel - he has apparently been planning and writing it for ten years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Jayne, since Geoffrey Rush is Australian, I can see why he'd be a fave of yours...did you see The King's Speech? He was equally good in that one, too. We haven't seen Shine but will look it up! Thanks. :)

      Delete
  8. Little Charlotte is adorable! I have The Book Thief on my Kindle. I started to read it over the winter, got a few pages in, and then stopped. I've heard it's quite a depressing book? I do need to start it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber, I haven't read the book (my Anna is, though). She hasn't had much to say about it, but I'll ask her how it compares so far to the film. Personally, I suffer from S.A.D. and struggle with mild depression in the winter, so I'd stay far away from anything that would push my emotions that way. Maybe I need to add the book to my summer reading...

      Delete
  9. Hey Lisa! Yes, I am reading the Bonhoeffer book. I'm really enjoying it, but it's one of those things that I have to read when I can really focus on what I'm reading. It's definitely not a light and easy read! I think you will enjoy it though. I am. I'm just taking it slow and savoring it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy birthday to miss Charlotte, two years sped by for me!! Love that you joined in on the weekends, yours was a lovely one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...