Wednesday, June 17, 2015

knitting, reading, musing...




Oh, what a bad blogger I am -- two weeks have passed with nothing shared here. Lots of reading, lots of knitting, lots of life happening here. I'm sure the same is true in your world. School is officially "out" even though we still have a few subjects to wrap up (logic, literature, government), and we'll be writing throughout the summer in preparation for an online fiction writing class both kids are enrolled in that will begin in the fall. But let's not get ahead of ourselves; it's not even officially summer yet!

That May "catch up" post is still sitting in my drafts, and soon I'll need to do one for June. This space needs it. I need it. So many memories made that need to be documented in some way, that need to be remembered. It seems that the sand of the hourglass slips all to quickly through our fingers. Time marches on so swiftly, it seems, and like Ann (who I relate to more and more even though I didn't so much like her book when I first read it). I want to acknowledge all those blessings and embrace every single moment for the gifts they are, to open my eyes and see, to really, truly, see and embrace all the life around me and to feed upon the goodness of His hands. Note to self: slow down!

After reading a mention of Heather King over at Ginny's a few weeks ago (at least I think it was at Ginny's -- looked but can't find the post or I'd link to it), I clicked over and wound up buying her memoir about her her breast cancer diagnosis since a friend is going through chemo for the same. Heather is raw, edgy even, but her faith is consistently drawn upon, and the quotes...oh my. I loaned the book to my sister who's going through a hard time (not cancer, but a hard time all the same), so I don't have it with me to share any quotes. So sorry!

It Starts with Food is a borrowed book that I picked up from a friend yesterday... A week ago AnnaLynn was in the hospital for what we all thought was appendicitis, but (thankfully!) her ultrasound revealed a healthy appendix. We've been trying to solve the mystery of what caused her such pain (pain that every single nurse and physician and surgeon who examined her last Wednesday immediately proclaimed was appendicitis). The pain has pretty much resolved, but she's having some digestive tract troubles leading me to look to food. We eat pretty healthy, but we're not purists. As of yesterday, both AnnaLynn and myself are grain and dairy free, at least for a while. This book recommends a 30 day diet of sorts that is supposed to help with inflammation...I'm joining Anna in solidarity because what 14 year old girl wants to give up cream cheese and tortilla chips and toast all by herself? Really, we're just trying to figure out if she's developed some sort of sensitivity to gluten or grains, or dairy, or ???   Please pray we find some answers and she's feeling better soon. :)

Knitting has been frustrating in a way. I had to rip out my Brennan and start over as I got mixed up. Too much going on and too much on my mind, I guess, to get it right. I did cast it back on and think I've got it now. I did cast on a few small projects (a beanie and mitts) to set aside for Christmas, and those have brought me knitting peace after the Brennan frog. My citron hasn't seen much knitting time, but I'm looking forward to a long, slow day at the river to remedy that...

Joining Ginny :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

19 comments:

  1. I read the Hartwigs' book from the library and found it very interesting. I hope it helps your daughter feel much better soon! I will have to put the other title on my library list. It sounds like a good read as well.

    Hoping your second time at Brennan works out for you. The beanie looks great. I'm glad I'm not the only one working toward fall and holiday gifts already. My local friends keep giving me odd looks but the knitters are always nodding and showing what they have tucked away already!

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my sweet friend...I am so sorry to hear that AnnLynn was hospitalized for a bit. It is always so frustrating to explain something to doctors and they diagnosing differently from what you are experiencing! I am praising Our Savior, that she is now home with all of you.

    You know, I am on the fence about the dairy free/gluten free phenomenon that is sweeping this nation at this time. My disease is unknown and the cause of the pain and such seems to be so hard to pinpoint. I have given up eating grains and the like, but it has caused greater issues along the way. I feel good for a bit, but then my body responds differently to having so much protein in the system.

    For now, I am just eating natural foods and trusting in Our God as He continues to guide me through this journey.

    I am praying that whatever AnnLynn has will be evident soon and that the doctors will be able to find the cause and treat whatever it is. Trust completely in Him my dear friend, Our God knows what is happening.

    Sending you lots of hugs...

    mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mari, thanks for the heart-felt response! We really are just trying to eliminate and then reintroduce to discern whether there's any food sensitivity/allergy going on. As I type, it's Friday morning, and she's doing much better...I allowed a small dish of good yogurt for b'fast which she enjoyed tremendously. :) It's hard to give up favorites, but she's been a trooper thus far. I'm so sorry your ailment is giving you so much trouble. Praying for you always and thankful for yours on my girl's behalf. xo

      Delete
  3. Oh, AnnLynn and Lisa I am so sorry you are having to deal with this, especially at such a young age. I hope eliminating grains and dairy does the trick. I am just now slowing adding a dairy back into my life in the form of yogurt and goat cheese, but I am taking baby steps. I haven't had any grain all year and have noticed a big difference in how I feel.
    There must be something in the air with knitting mistakes, you are not the only one who I've read has had problems. .
    Wishing you a wonderful Wednesday and a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hearing from others that frogging is a theme this week. Sigh. I finished the first of a pair of fingerless mitts last evening while Dan read aloud to us after dinner, but I haven't pick my Brennan back up...yet. :) Glad to hear that going grain-free was helpful for you; I know it will be difficult for Anna (and me) if we keep on that path; for now we're simply trying to discern whether she has any allergies or sensitivities. xo

      Delete
  4. I pray you find what has been ailing poor AnnaLynn. I'm curious to see how it works out with the change in diet. What a supportive momma you are! Don't worry - your knitting will always be there when life gets a little less hectic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When will life not be hectic? Sometimes I feel like if it's not one thing, it's another...sigh. :) Thanks for your prayers! xo

      Delete
  5. Lisa - I encourage you and your daughter to stick with the Whole 30 until the end. I have done it several times and it always helps with my joint pain and inflammation. I generally live a low-grain, no-dairy diet since I'm gluten free and lactose intolerant, but eliminating all grains always seems to make me feel so much better. It does stink though not to be able to eat tortilla chips and popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our two favorite snacks...chips with (guac, hummus, salsa...) and buttery popcorn popped in coconut oil! I finished reading the book yesterday and have made some lists. Will see how it goes! Thanks so much for your encouragement, Amber! xo

      Delete
  6. I do hope that the Good Lord will guide you in what is best for your daughter. I think the main thing is to listen to your gut instincts and do what works for her; for some it is the diet you are trying, for others it is something else. May God have deep mercy!

    God bless and may His peace be abiding with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, what works for some may not be the answer for us...time will tell! We are leaning on the Lord and praying for answers so we don't do the wrong things and make things worse for Anna. Thank you for the encouragement, Elizabeth! xo

      Delete
  7. Your knitting seems to be the theme of the week-I and several other blogs I've hopped over to have said they are frogging and there is probably just too much else going on in life right now. Sorry to hear of Annalynn's pain and I hope you can figure it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frogging does seem to be the theme this week, no? Sigh. I'm thankful for my small projects, ones I've knit before that are tried and true. I think I need to only work on Brennan while alone in my thoughts without distractions...time at the river would be perfect for that. :) xo

      Delete
  8. praying for your daughter and that you figure out what is causing the pains, I'm glad that it wasn't serious when you went to the hospital!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are thankful, too, that it wasn't serious! Thanks so much for your prayers, Karen! xo

      Delete
  9. I so hope you get to the bottom of it soon. Small projects seem just the ticket right now I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the ticket, indeed! xo

      Delete
  10. I'm sorry about the knitting frustration, and about the friend going through chemo. It's a hard road to walk with a friend.

    I will pray for your daughter. And for all of you, if you are giving up so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your prayers, Ranee! :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...