Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Pioneer Girl, mitts, a cowl, and about that book...



We've been busy trying to wrap up our school year which has left me little time to be here. I have so much to share, but so little time! I promise another "catching up" post soon, but in the meantime, here's my weekly Yarn Along post:

My knitting time has been spent exclusively on some knits for my AnnaLynn: a pair of fingerless mitts, finished on Sunday, and a matching cowl which I cast on immediately afterward. The yarn is KPs Cotlin -- a favorite of mine, and perfect for spring and summer knits. I'm thinking she'll be able to wear these on cool mornings or evenings to warm her hands and shoulders. Sorry the gloves aren't yet blocked as they'd look nicer...oh well. My Brennan has been neglected, but it doesn't have to be finished until December, so that's ok. :)

I've had Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography on hold at the library for some time now and was thrilled when I received an email that it was finally available. I've only casually flipped through so far, checking out the photos and hand-drawn maps, and am eager to dive in since I'm a huge Laura fan. :)

I mentioned last time that I was going back and forth with Somewhere in France and have to say that although I love a good period piece, especially wartime stories featuring women and how they handle, navigate, and survive harrowing circumstances, this isn't a book I can recommend. The story itself was revealing as to how difficult it was to be a WAAC, and I found that part to be highly interesting, but when the author decided to write in intimately-detailed descriptions of, well, intimate encounters (call me a prude if you want), I was more than a little offended. Back to the library it went. Am I the only one who didn't know about that aspect of this book? I sincerely apologize if you picked it up because you saw it here and were offended. Yikes!

In other reading news, I also picked up Jan Karon's latest Mitford book while at the library and parked it on my nightstand. Now there's some wholesome, uplifting reading to be sure.

Joining Ginny :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful knitting for your sweet girl Lisa.
    No, you aren't a prude, good books can be written without smutt! Have you read The Nightingale? It hints at situations that took place during WWII, but doesn't go into detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when I'm reading something I think I'll enjoy and BAM there it is - something unexpected and usually unnecessary. Some books bother me more than others, but I always at least like to know in advance what I'm likely to find. I have a feeling the Laura book will be much... tidier :) haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you - totally unnecessary and spoils a book I may otherwise have enjoyed. I had this on my list to read as the subject matter is something I would like, but maybe not now. Thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors for your mitts and cowl . .

    I've been reading David Copperfield . . I find I prefer many of the classics from the past much more than present day books just for the reason you mentioned :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa - Have you read Unbroken? It's based on the true story of Louis Zamperini during WWII. I just finished it last night. It was an awesome book. Hard to read at times because of the horrible conditions the POWS lived in at the hands of the Japanese, but it was a very good and even encouraging book to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad you are busy doing regular old life stuff! Lovely knitting, I'm not getting nearly as much time as I would like for knitting and reading but come the fall I'll have plenty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous knitting, I love the contrast colour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are not a prude. I've been skimming and sending books back a lot lately. Sometimes not even for reasons such as that, but even just modern attitudes about marriage and family and such.

    I understand the end of year cram. We're in it here, and nobody, including me, really wants to do any school work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...