Thursday, August 6, 2015

17 revolutions around the sun...

The world is rated R, and no one is checking IDs.
Do not try to make it G by imagining the shadows away.
Do not try to hide your children from the world forever,
But do not try to pretend there is no danger.
Train them.
Give them sharp eyes and bellies full of laughter.
Make them dangerous.
Make them yeast, and when they’ve grown,
They will pollute the shadows.

-N.D. Wilson



Happy 17th birthday to Daniel, my youngest son...born to me in my mid-30s when I least expected to reenter motherhood.

One who reads (and reads, and reads) and ponders.
One who thinks in ways that challenge my own thoughts.
One whose pen scratches, filling page after page.
One whose fingers dance, coaxing beauty from ivory
and filling our home with magic.

Continue sharpening your weapons, dear son,
and wield them for the Kingdom...

With much love from your teary-eyed mom :)

xo

~~~~~~~~~~



Dan & Daniel are off this morning for a long weekend in Moscow, Idaho, where Daniel will be attending a writing workshop with two of his favorite authors (along with Michael Ward, author of Planet Narnia: The Seven Heavens in the Imagination of C.S. Lewis). Can't wait to hear all about it!

AnnaLynn and I have registered our fair entries and are looking forward to seeing how we did when the fair opens Friday (tomorrow) morning...I did manage to finish my recycled yarn project in time! My girl and I have fun plans for the weekend, so I won't be here until next week when I'll share how we did at the fair. Wish us luck!

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

6 comments:

  1. Finally back on to using my laptop after being in the shop for a few weeks ("the shop" being my husband's chair!). Anyway, cannot wait to see the blue ribbon for your project. I've been thinking of entering something in a local fair, but I haven't jumped all the hurdles yet such as: finishing a project in time, finishing a project and then not using it beforehand, finding a fair that does not have Sunday-only entry time period, etc.! Maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how wonderful! I've often heard best way to write well is to read lots! :) I am re-reading The Young Unicorns and am just loving the language - Madeleine L'Engle wrote so much and so well! Of course this is my favourite of her's... God bless your son!!! He sounds like a real blessing to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy birthday!!! hope you win lots of ribbons :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday, Daniel!

    Please update us on the fair results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to hear all about the fair! I'm on my way to our state fair this afternoon. I didn't even get around to entering anything. I say I will "do it next year" but I always forget. A very Happy Birthday to your Daniel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to you and your son! I'm excited to hear about the workshop.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...