Friday, October 2, 2015

signs of fall...








Signs of fall are all around us...

While the leaves on my tulip tree have transitioned from green to gold, and the vine maples that border our lawn are beginning their show, still heavy with bloom, my volunteer cosmos defy the change of seasons.

We were surprised by cloudy skies and a bit of rain this morning and aren't complaining as we need it. Anna and I were eager for a fire in the woodstove, and today's weather demanded it.

A small group of deer foraged in our back yard today; they are bothersome, yet, there is something both humorous and bizaar to looking outside my window and watching wildlife roam about. We've been here ten years, and I don't think I'll ever tire of it.

Our turkey has taken up residence in our freezer until late in November. 18.5 pounds is what he came in at! So thankful for friends who did the "processing" as I don't think I could've done it...chickens we're used to. This was our first turkey. :)  In other poutlry news, our hens have not begun laying yet (argh), and I forgot to buy eggs when in town earlier this week (double argh). We've got to be close. :)

I ordered a sourdough starter from Cultures for Health that is supposed to be mild in flavor and am working on getting it to rise. The cycle is refresh (feed) every 12 hours, and I think I'm almost there. We've been buying bread all summer, and I think it's time to turn the oven back on...

I cooked a whole chicken in the crockpot earlier this week -- my favorite way to cook an entire bird. Just season with salt, pepper, onion, garlic, and a sprig of rosemary along with carrots, celery; add a glug of apple cider vinegar to release the minerals from the bones and a cup of water then cook for 4-5 hours on high depending on the weight. Makes delicious broth and tender chicken that can be served in so many ways.

Finally, we sold our faithful Expedition this week. I'm a little sad, but we waited to sell it since the AC isn't working and figured it would sell more easily once the hot days of summer were in the past. I think Dan is dreaming of a new 4WD pickup. :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

7 comments:

  1. Chicken cooked in a crock pot....mmm! Nothing quite like it for taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you use this method? It really does make for a wonderfully tender chicken!

      Delete
  2. I tend to cook my chicken in my iron pot over the stove :0). Signs of fall are certainly here, we turned on our faithful furnace today since it went as low as 40 during the day. The cottage felt colder than outside :0(. Congratulations in selling your car.... Blessings, mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only in the 40s during the day...brrr!

      Delete
  3. Happy October! The temperature has finally dropped, but the leaves are still green here at my little spot on the east coast. I am eagerly anticipating their turn. Congratulations on the sale of your vehicle. We have one that we would like to sell in the next year. A big, old Lincoln that does more sitting in the driveway than cruising on the road. It runs great, but it is just too big for us these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Erica -- hope your Lincoln sells quickly!

      Delete
  4. I love the deer that go through my yard but they were quite destructive this past winter. My bushes!! I'm hoping it was just the harsh winter and not a yearly habit :) Congrats on selling the car :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...