Tuesday, November 24, 2015

thankfulness :)


O Lord that lends me life,
lend me a heart replete with thankfulness.
~William Shakespeare

I'll be busy tomorrow getting ready for the big day. My list includes baking a pecan pie and making mashed potatoes, lime jello with diced canned pears, and homemade keilbasa. Yum. :)   I'll also be cleaning...lots to do to get the house ready for family. The turkey we raised this summer will be roasting in the oven when company arrives mid-afternoon on Thursday -- filling the house with that wonderful aroma that lets us know it's Thanksgiving. My mouth is watering just thinking of all that deliciousness...

This annual tradition of gathering to rejoice and feast and give thanks is time consuming, yet it's worth it. I've so, so much to be thankful for even though at times I grumble. And I've grumbled in my heart this year at having to host...again. My heels were dug in and I tried getting out of it, but the Lord, in His kindness, will fill my house with loved ones...again.

That Christmas cactus up there at the top of this post is a good reflection of the way I've felt the past few weeks. I've just not kept my focus where it needed to be and so I couldn't see the promise of all the good in store for me if only I would open my eyes to see it. I love my family. But I'm tired and feeling spread rather thin, as Bilbo Baggins once said, “I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread."

What's been missing, I think is the perspective that flows from a thankful heart. O Lord that lends me life, lend me a heart replete with thankfulness...

for a house big enough to fill with all my loved ones
for health and warmth and a pantry filled to overflowing
for friends who know me and love me anyway
for solitude when I need it
for beauty at every turn
for good books, wise words, and thoughtful quotes
for friends near and far and those I've met through this space
for safety, for comfort, for security
for grace, mercy, and forgiveness
for salvation
for my husband, my best friend, the love of my life
for my children who teach me so, so much
for yarn
for busy hands and lots to do
for clarity and aha moments

Thinking it's time to take a break from here, but not for too long. Company will be here for several days, Saturday will be wrapping up Advent gift shopping (four Sundays...four gifts for my kids and my grands: jammies, books, ornaments, and special treats). In the meanwhile, I'll be popping up on IG (DoleValleyGirl) if you want to follow along. :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

See you soon,

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

12 comments:

  1. You are good to host. It is a lot of work. I wish you a restful Friday! God be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving dear Lisa. I will be cleaning and cooking tomorrow too, I have been working on my lists today and think I'm all prepared.
    Enjoy this special time and I will 'see you' on IG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracey. :) xo

      Delete
  3. Oh my friend, if that is how you feel, then definitely take time to breathe and praise Our Lord for the fact that you have been blessed so much... I know that when I am overwhelmed, I tend to see everything from a small opening in my heart. I know that you will enjoy this time with your family and I pray that Our Lord gives you some time to just be still with Him. May you have a blessed day of Thanksgiving! mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such beautiful encouragement your words provide! Thank you, dear Mari!

      Delete
  4. gorgeous list of gratitude. I hope you have a blessed thanksgiving with your family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karen! And you, as well! :)

      Delete
  5. Praying you have a blessed and happy Thanksgiving! The quote of Bilbo Baggins is one of my favorites. I say it to myself during the times when I am very busy with commitments.
    I have two Christmas cacti, and they are thick with blooms right now. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! I didn't think I could be the only one who could relate to that quote! Blessings to you, Erica. :)

      Delete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you have a wonderful day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hoping your thanksgiving was wonderful.....and the days following full of love and gratitude and grace. Don't be gone long....we'll miss you!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...