Thursday, January 21, 2016

...learning to drive



This, my friends, is Daniel. 17 years old and a little late to be learning to drive, but learning to drive he is. Makes me a tad bit nervous to be the passenger, but I've done this before. Three times to be exact. He is improving which means I'm beginning to feel comfortable knitting a few stitches while he's at the wheel if there's no other traffic. A good sign. :)

The youngest of my three boys, this one graduates this year. C-R-A-Z-Y. Really, it is beyond my comprehension to understand where the years have gone.

We're talking, which is a good thing...college, work, interests. Thoughtful conversations about life and the future and how scary and exciting it is to be on the cusp of adulthood. I'm loving this phase.

But sometimes it's difficult.

AnnaLynn and I recently took the "Which Downton character are you?" online quiz where I learned that I'm Mr. Carson (she's Anna -- so funny!). If you watch Downton, you know who Mr. Carson is and that although he has a soft side, he likes to keep order and is therefore not too lenient in the running of the abbey. My kids think this is funny. In fact, if you asked my older kids to complete this saying: God is a god of order, not of _________. They would all answer, "Chaos." Because that's what they grew up hearing from me.

Truth, but expressed a little too Carsonesquely, I'm sure.

I think one of the hardest things about homeschooling boys is the fact that they grow to be young men who really don't want to spend all day at home with their mommas. The transition between being a boy and becoming a man seem to take forever, and then again, it happens in the blink of an eye.

This year I blinked. It's been a good year, but it's been a hard year, too. Hard for him. Hard for me. Sometimes. But mostly it's good, and for that I'm thankful.

I'd like to think I've grown up along with my kids and that I've learned to be a little more lenient, more patient, and more grace-extending than I used to be. Love before order, right? Better late than never.

Letting go of the wheel and trusting God to work His perfect will in my life and in the life of my kids has been a long road for an order-seeker/sinner like me. Sort of like letting my son take the wheel so he can learn to drive. It's all about trust. And love. :)

xo,

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

5 comments:

  1. I found that age group hard when I was raising my three. They are not quite one thing or another, boy or man. It does pass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Barbara, those years are hard. But they I am praying they do grow out of it :0) my oldest and my second oldest are not into driving. They just don't feel ready to be behind the wheel yet. So public transportation seems to be the way they travel... mari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I remember when Sergei had his learner's permit. It was so nerve-wracking for me to relinquish control and sit in that passenger seat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our lives are so similar Lisa and that makes me smile. My youngest is just learning to drive too, he never had a desire before, and he too will be graduating this year.
    Raising boys is not for the faint of of heart, but in the end I feel I am stronger for it and I know you must feel the same way too.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate letting go. But it's something I am trying to do gracefully. Oh, motherhood is so challenging!! He is handsome and he does have some of your DNA so he might be half carson.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...