Tuesday, March 29, 2016

a rather rambling yarn along post...



Can it really be four weeks since I was last here?

Hard to believe it's been that long since my uncle passed away and I flew to Pittsburgh. Life is funny sometimes. Just when you think you've got it figured out, the past sneaks up and bites you hard, and you discover that you really didn't have it figured out after all. Long story I won't share here. Suffice to say that my unexpected journey resulted in my realizing that while Pennsylvania will always be where I am from, Washington is my home. Something I didn't  fully realize until I stepped onto my front porch just 48 hours after landing at the Pittsburgh airport.

But this is supposed to be a yarn along post, so I'll have to share more about my trip back east another time...

Knitting:  Projects have been flying off my needles (insomnia provides extra knitting time...). You can take a peek on my Ravelry page if you want by clicking {here}. The wee sock in the photo above is for my third grandbaby -- my daughter Jessica's first -- who we are looking forward to meeting sometime in September! The yarn is from an alpaca farm in Hood River, Oregon, where we visited a few years ago while on a drive up the Columbia River gorge.

Reading:  Having finished Henry V, Robin Hood, At the Water's Edge, The Amish Knit Lit Circle, and Brooklyn, I'm currently reading Jambusters and The True Story of Hansel and Gretel.

Jambusters, if you don't know, is the story of the Women's Institute in England during the time of WWII (the PBS show Home Fires is based on this book). It's a rather historical read, so I started the Hansel and Gretel story which I found at Costco. The description from the back cover explains that it's "a poignant and suspenseful retelling of a famous fairy tale set in a war-town world" (near the end of the Nazi occupation of Poland during WWII). I'll warn you that there's some serious language that might be offensive to some (it is to me), but the story is so well written, and I just can't shake the fascination I've had over the past few years with WWI and WWII historical fiction.

I'm thankful that I've been able to keep up with many (most) of you via IG during my absence. I've wondered if I should let this place go, but I'm not ready to do that...nope.

And with that I'll close this rather rambling yarn along post.

Joining Ginny :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

20 comments:

  1. I find home is where you spend most of your time. I never thought living here would be home, but now it's been over 20 years and this is the default setting! Glad you are back safe and sound :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and for the encouraging words, Karen. Home safe and sound and would rather be no place else!! xo

      Delete
  2. yes, home is a bit of a fluid place I find! I have lived in various cities since leaving home and even those places, I find ... well, one can never go back really. HUGS and love. (and I like your blog and that you come back to it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "one can never go back really" -- so true! Thanks for sharing and for the encouragement, dear Elizabeth. :) xo

      Delete
  3. You know Lisa, it amazes me how Our Lord shows us exactly where we need to be, where He has placed us. Like you, NJ/NY was my home for many many years. But now it is here in these mountains of PA, that I have found myself and where I and my family have thrived. I understand what you have left unsaid and know that it is wonderful that you know just where you need to be.

    Your baby socks are just beautiful. And another grandbaby is just the greatest of blessings :-).

    Don't let go of this space. I know that IG is fun and quick, but you can not express yourself fully there. It is only a small part of what we want to share. I go back and forth. I love to write so the blog is perfect for that but IG is just instant gratification. :-)

    In the end you are connecting and sharing, and that my friend is why we do this .... Isn't it?

    Lots of love to you sweet lady :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mari, so thankful for you and for knowing you here! I do miss this place when I don't find time to visit and truly am thankful for the community and connections I've found here in blogland. God has been kind to me in a way that overwhelms me! xo

      Delete
  4. my condolences on your loss. I'm glad your home and safe and sound. A grandbaby...how exciting! congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about your uncle. I don't know how I missed that. I'm glad you had a safe journey. I totally understand - I come from NY but RI is my home. I love to visit but happy to get back home. Congrats on the new grandbaby! I love hearing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna. :) I'm encouraged to know that I'm not the only transplant with a longing for "home" only to find it where I am! xo

      Delete
  6. You were in Pittsburgh? That's only 45 minutes from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber, next time I'm back east I'll have to let you know...would be fun to meet up! xo

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad to see you here again, I have missed you. I have been struggling to keep up with pretty much anyone's blog, especially my own, the past month or two but I like to read yours when I get the chance. It brings me peace and fills me with longing for my home and surroundings to bring my family the peace it appears to do for yours. Big congratulations on a new grandbaby, I know that is very exciting!! I remember when the wait for Charlotte was on and now she's getting so big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, what an encouragement your comment is! Thank you for taking the time to say hello...I know how busy I am on a daily basis and how nice it is to catch up with my blog friends when I get the chance. I love that you remember when Charlotte was new (she'll be 3 in June!!). Blessings to you, my friend east of the Cascades. :) xo

      Delete
  8. I share your WWII fascination and I will look up both these books. Would love to hear more reflection from your trip too. Projects flying off needles? That makes one of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Amanda. :)

      Delete
  9. Yay for projects flying off the needles! Home is so good for the soul. I have an intense interest in the WWI & WWII eras as well. Happy Knitting & Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "home is good for the soul" -- YES!! :)

      Delete
  10. Lisa, thanks for your comment on my blog...I haven't started putting my Etsy shop together very much, I thought I'd wait until after April 5 when the changes go into effect. Can you tell me what you don't like about the changes, if anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply to your question. The thing is that I really don't like change all that much, and I don't have a lot of extra time to re-do my shop. Now that the April 5 date has come and gone, I can only say that I'm confused about whether my old shop or the new is what is visible to shoppers. I really need to get in and do a major update both there and here on my blog, though, so sometimes it's good to have my hand forced. Best wishes to you! xo

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...