Tuesday, April 5, 2016

tending my yarn garden...





Reading:  The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson. I'm only a few chapters into yet another of my war era reads. This one has been called "perfect for readers in a post-Downton Abbey slump" which is a bit how I've been feeling now that Downton is over. Sigh. I finished The True Story of Hansel and Gretel and have to say that I loved it despite some rather graphic language. The way the author wove the story of Hansel and Gretel together with the Nazi occupation of Poland during WWII was so very well done.

Knitting:  Obviously, I've been knitting baby socks which wouldn't be very exciting except they're for my third grandchild! Jess & Zack aren't planning to find out the gender, so I'm sticking with neutral colors. The first pair (picture #2) were knit using a skein of oh-so-soft alpaca from Foothills Yarn & Fiber located in Hood River, Oregon. I wound up creating a pattern of my own after trying one or two that I just wasn't happy with. I'm testing my notes by knitting up a second pair using some leftover Ginny yarn and would love it if one or two or more of you would be willing to test knit for me once I type up my notes. Leave a comment or email me at: happyindolevalley@gmail.com -- thx!! Other than wee socks, I've finished a shawl and a shawlette (which I'll share about soon) and have several other projects on the needles that I hope to finish up soon. The thing is, grandma knits are so much fun that it's hard to stay motivated about other projects...

Joining Ginny :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

25 comments:

  1. Oh it must so exciting knowing that the wee baby is on his/her way 🙂🙂 how fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. saw this book coming through the library....and put it on reserve....loved Maj Pettigrew! I'd love to test knit your baby socks....I could add them to the church blankets I'm knitting. (Have you knit the 'stay-on' baby booties? The one pattern that my kids---and grandkids---couldn't kick off. yes. the pattern is THAT old!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like such a great book, I just placed it on hold at my library. I would love to test knit those socks. They are so adorable! Hope you are having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the shawl and shawlette designs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that they are going to be surprised! Let me know when you are done with your notes. I'll test knit some for you. Your finished shawl is gorgeous! I like the colors in your shawlette as well. Have a wonderful week Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baby socks are adorable! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is nothing like baby knitting is there? That is such a sweet wee sock, and while I would love to test knit, I let you down on the hat pattern, so I'm afraid to say yes and then have life throw me another curve ball.
    Happy Wednesday my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh...knitting for grand babies!!! How fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're on a roll with filling my book reading list! And I think it is fun to not know the gender, a little inconvenient for the spectators and gift givers, but really... what a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that baby sock! I have a neighbour who is expecting her first grandshild in September so would be happy to test knit for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You wee sock is lovely! If you haven't enough test knitters, I would love to test knit for you. Blessings to you from Kansas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the baby socks and your fingernail polish!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that sock!!
    I just discovered the other the day that there is yarn in Hood River so next time I drive through on the way to Portland or wherever (we seem to drive through there a couple times a year for some reason or other) I will be stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will have to add this book to my GoodReads list! Thanks for the recommendation! And baby socks are so adorable in any color! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh...baby socks! I need to get on my baby knitting mojo...I have two grandbabies due this year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Baby socks are such a fun and loving project - quick and full of joy and expectations :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. baby! baby! sock! sock! Congrats, what a happy way to be knitting these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been unhappy with all the baby sock patterns I've tried. Would like to test knit yours for my newest grandbaby.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely sock - I love baby knitting. My two are a bit big now so I will have to wait for grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lori in Missouri4/06/2016

    Hi Lisa, I love the little bootie... would love to test-knit for you but if you already have enough people, would love to buy your pattern!
    Thanks for always inspiring all of us book.knit.love ladies!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. fun knits! a blessing to have books. much love!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm enthralled by the description of those two books. Their in my to-read list on Goodreads. Cute little socks. So adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh those baby socks...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aw what a lovely little Sock!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those books sound interesting, I love anything war related. I also love the phrase 'yarn garden', I might have to use that! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...