Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Gratituesday - Sourdough (again!)

It amazes me that not that long ago I was a complete failure at bread baking (I never thought yeast would be my friend...). Honestly, it took me over 16 years to finally bake an edible loaf of bread!

But thanks to the patience of my husband ("Another brick? Oh, honey, I'm so sorry...") and the encouragement of a few sweet friends who shared their bread-baking tips with me (like how to proof the yeast before starting and what types of flour worked well for bread baking), I kept at it. And then I turned my attention toward sourdough...

A few weeks ago I posted about how excited I was that my sourdough starter was still alive after being ignored over the holidays, and here I am again carrying on about sourdough. Just take a look at these wonderful looking mini-loaves of sourdough goodness...



Rather than baking two large loaves, I decided to make up lots of smaller loaves that could go into the freezer. I wound up with seven of these...



So incredibly delicious looking!



I thought one would be enough for our family of four...



But I was wrong...



I used part of the dough to make up some rolls...



And they turned out fantastically!



It amazes me that I can actually bake bread. I've learned that sometimes you just have to stick with something and try again (and again, and again) to get it right. You have to be willing to fail and not take yourself so seriously. Patience with ourselves and encouragement from others both go a long way in helping us achieve our goals, and I'm so very thankful for those who've been both patient and encouraging towards me, even over such a seemingly mundane thing like bread baking. Thanks...you know who you are. :)


~~~~~~~~~~
Join me for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers!

10 comments:

  1. My stomach is literally growling looking at your yummy pictures! J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you post your recipe? It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sourdough was my dads favorite and I know it takes talent to get it to come out just right congratulations your talent is something to be truly thankful for

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. J, wish you were here to have some with us! :) The next time we get together...

    ~L

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, ladies, for your kind words. I'll try to post my recipe soon! Blessings, Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those loaves are beautiful - I love sourdough and yours is really yummy! Our own starter went bad last summer so I need to figure out how to get another one...

    ~Galena

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, thanks so much, Galena! I would be happy to share some starter with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love sourdough(: will be sure to try the bread recipes next time! For me, it's a hit and miss, I've yet to perfect my bakign skills. Oh well, when they do become a "miss, I just make croutons out of them haha

    http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/03/naked-broccoli-soup-with-garlic-herb_17.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep trying! Even though I've had success with baking bread, I still have flops from time to time, too. Thanks for stopping by! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...