I've heard it said that muffins are an excuse to eat dessert for breakfast, and while that may be true, we'll likely be serving up this week's muffin for dessert. :)
Chocolate Buttermilk Muffins
(inspired by this recipe)
makes 12 muffins
1 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
1 3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
2/3 c. Rapadura sugar
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 t. real vanilla
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/3 c. real chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease muffin tin with coconut oil.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a separate bowl combine melted butter, buttermilk, vanilla, and egg.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring only until moistened - don't over mix your muffins!
5. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
6. Bake 15 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (ours had to bake the full 20 minutes).
7. Cool in pan for five minutes, then remove muffins to wire rack to cool.
We'd love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :)
This is the 9th installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. (There are 42 more to come, stay tuned...)
For more great recipes, join me at: Mouthwatering Monday, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Titus2sdays, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Real Food Wednesdays, Raising Homemakers, Pennywise Platter, Simple Lives Thursday, Foodie Friday, Muffin Monday, and Feasting in Fellowship Friday