Friday, July 1, 2011

Whole Wheat Almond Toffee Bars


Flipping through my ever-trusty copy of Betty Crocker's Cookbook earlier this week, I came upon a recipe I've never tried and thought the Papa might really like them...I was right. I love it when that happens! :)



Whole Wheat Toffee Bars
makes 32 small treats

1 c. brown sugar, packed
1 stick butter, softened
1 egg yolk
1 t. real vanilla
2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 t. sea salt
1/2 - 1 c. chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)
1/2 c. chopped almonds (or other nut of choice)

Heat oven to 350F and lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking pan (we like to use coconut oil). Mix together sugar, butter, egg yolk, and vanilla; stir in flour and salt. Press mixture into prepared pan and bake until lightly browned 20 - 25 minutes (crust will be soft).

Remove pan from oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over surface of baked crust. Allow to stand about 3 minutes, then spread melted chocolate with a spatula to cover crust. Sprinkle chopped nuts on top and gently press into chocolate.

Allow to cool slightly, then cut into 32 bars.



Note: The next time I make these I plan to use rapadura sugar in place of the brown sugar and will likely cut down on the sugar amount as well. In our opinion these are very similar to Almond Roca (only not as hard).

If you like toffee, you'll love these!

Enjoy!

Also sharing at April's Weekend Roundup, Full Plate Thursday, Sweet Tooth Friday, Ultimate Recipe SwapSweets for a Saturday, and Sweet Indulgences Sunday!

10 comments:

  1. These look delicious. I copied the recipe to save so I can make these sometime. Thanks for another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm, sounds yummy! I've made homemade Almond Roca a lot, so these should be a real treat! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMM-O I want to make these REAL soon. Please do post your changes when you figure it out. Hmmmm I wonder if I can get hubby to cave and buy me some choc. and almonds chips tonight. ((wishful thinking)) [o=

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theresa, Madge, & Mary - You'll have to let me know what you think if you do give this recipe a try! Mary, I'll edit with the changes when I whip these up again...I'm thinking of using 1/2 - 3/4 c. Rapadura... Blessings to all! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love Toffee anything and these bars look amazing. I sure wish I had one right now. I am your newest follower. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and sure hope to see you again real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miz Helen - Welcome! You'll have to give these toffee bars a try and let us know what you think. :) Blessings ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely love toffee, and I can't wait to make these! They look wonderful! I think it is fantastic that they use whole wheat flour as well - it's nice when treats have good for you ingredients. Thank you so much for sharing this delicious post with The Weekend Roundup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm. i love almonds so I will defiantly be trying this one out :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your toffee bars! They look absolutely delicious. I'd like to invite you to share your recipe on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/07/sweet-indulgences-sunday-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. April - Hope you enjoy them! I love sneaking healthy ingredients into sweets whenever I make them for my family. :)

    HH - Hope you'll let us know how you like them!

    Kim - Thanks for the kind words and the invite. I just linked up with your party and found a several recipe ideas while there. By the way, your peach cobbler muffins sound delicious and are on our list to try.

    Blessings to all, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...