Monday, August 29, 2011
50 before 50...
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Exactly two months from today I'll be turning 48 -- yikes.
The knowledge that I'm not getting any younger is sometimes overwhelming. I often chuckle to myself as I remember Aunt Bea from the Andy Griffith Show bemoaning that she's no spring chicken anymore. Why? Because I can relate. The signs of aging are there when I look in the mirror (is that my dad looking back at me?) and when I try to get up after sitting on the floor. On top of that, my joints are achy, my shoulder hurts sometimes, and just when did the skin on my neck start to look so...old ladyish?
The truth be told, I am loving this stage of life! With no wee ones in the home (my youngest is almost 11), I have both the time and the opportunity to indulge myself just a little bit, to serve others more, to read for pleasure, to learn those things I've always wanted to learn, and to quietly sit and ponder the things of life and God. I've determined to embrace each moment and to live more purposefully, to more passionately love my family and friends, and above all, to grow more and more in the grace and knowledge of my God.
To help accomplish these tasks, I've created a "50 before 50" -- a lengthy list of things I've always dreamed of doing, wanted to do, or put off doing. Some of these will require a little help from my wonderful husband and children, and some will require extreme determination, diligence and perseverance on my part. While I may not be able to pull off a few of these items, there's no time like the present to get started and try, right? I've got 113 weeks. An ambitious task? Perhaps, but I'm up to the challenge!
OK, here goes! I warn you, these are all over the map...
Lisa's 50 before 50 list:
1. Read through the entire Bible
2. Climb Silver Star
3. Climb Mount St. Helens
4. Travel to Europe
5. Visit the Creation Museum
6. Drive across the U.S. with my family
7. Meet in person at least one friend from "blogland"
8. Visit Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty
9. Take a writing class
10. Write an E-book (on ???)
11. Take an art class
12. Bake the perfect loaf of sourdough bread
13. Make homemade wine
14. Watch all three LOTR movies in one day
15. Finish and publish my knitting and crochet patterns
16. Take a weekend backpacking trip
17. Successfully grow and harvest corn in Dole Valley
18. Butcher a homegrown chicken and cook it for dinner
19. Raise a beef cow (is that the right way to say that?)
20. Own a couple goats for milk and milk them myself
21. Milk a cow
22. Make homemade tomato sauce and can it
23. Lead a Titus 2 Bible study
24. Chop down a tree
25. Raise bees on our property and harvest the honey
26. Sew this jacket and this skirt
27. Add to our family economy with my Etsy and holiday bazaars
28. Finish knitting the lacy shawl I started years ago
29. Sew a quilt
30. Take piano lessons
31. Relearn to play the recorder
32. Crochet a fancy bedspread for my bed
33. Volunteer at Options 360 (local crisis pregnancy center)
34. Dine at the Space Needle
35. Learn to shoot a gun
36. Shoot a deer; fill my freezer with venison
37. Bake an angel food cake from scratch
38. Make a homemade mayonnaise my family really likes
39. Ride a boogie board someplace warm and sunny :)
40. Dry all my laundry on a clothesline
41. Ride through the Chunnel
42. See the northern lights
43. Identify ten major constellations
44. Take my kids on the roller coasters at Kennywood!!
45. Attend a wine tasting
46. Attend a Steelers game. In Pittsburgh.
47. Master dutch oven cooking
48. Write/compile a family history for my children
49. Ride a horse
50. Speak publicly (yikes!)
Well, that's it, folks. We'll see what the Lord has in store for me over the next two years!
A man's heart plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps.
~ Proverbs 16:23
Oh, and for the record, I reserve the right to edit this list as circumstances require OR the Lord dictates. :)
J -- Thanks for the inspiration!! Love ya, my dear, dear friend!
This post "on display" at April's Gallery of Favorites.