Wednesday, August 10, 2011

On my needles... a little progress




Life has not afforded much time for knitting of late, but I have made a little progress on the lacy scarf I'm knitting for my daughter (see where I was last week here -- not much progress, I know). I did manage to squeeze in some quiet knitting time late yesterday afternoon, but unless I postpone much of life's duties, I can't imagine having this finished and ready to send with Jess when she leaves for Oxford in September.

All of that said, I've grown comfortable with the pattern and am loving the feel of the yarn as it slips through my fingers. I imagine Jessica wearing it as she explores and photographs the shops and sites in England, and if that isn't an incentive to finish, I don't know what is!

This quote from A Charlotte Mason Companion spoke volumes to me as our 3rd son turned 13 on Saturday:
"The pull of the world, and their curiosity about it, seems to be strongest in the teen years. We grown-ups may forget what once enticed us--especially if our fascination with the world has faded. How much influence the world has over our children really depends on what standards we set at home--the standards by which the children are accustomed to measure things--and the strength of the family ties. A respect for parents, the satisfaction of learning together, a fondness for simple pleasures, good humor amidst hard work, sympathy in sorrow, and the joy of worshipping together are a part of the atmosphere of a close family. Such families give the gift of unworldliness. May we all be enabled to provide our children with such an atmosphere."
It's August 10 and I'm only 1/3 of the way through The Help. I guess it's not my season for making deadlines. :) I'm sooo looking forward to our upcoming camping trip where I hope to lose myself in this wonderful book as well as my knitting.

So what are you knitting/crocheting/reading?

Sharing over at the Yarn Along. :)

9 comments:

  1. I am reading Ruth Beechick's A Biblical Home Education and I hope to get to ready my Charlotte Mason Companion again too before the end of the month. [o= I am with you on maybe I shouldn't set too many deadlines.

    PS: I updated my post to a more balanced mindset than I was earlier this morning. [o= Thank you for being such a encouragement. ((HUGS))

    Blessings in Him<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, a camping trip to lose yourself in knitting and reading... What a wonderful idea!! I'm just sure you will have at least one present checked off the list. I can't wait to see it finished!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh sorry, I forgot to say how LOVELY your knitting is! I do pray out of all your deadlines that your knitting is the one accomplished first. That would be sooo sweet to send with your dd.

    I also want to say that is the COOLEST mug I have ever seen. Where in the world did you find it?!?

    Thank you so much for all your encouragement and prayers. And for sure I will keep you in my prayers.

    Blessings and ((HUGS)) my SSiC
    In Him<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by gals; you are such nice blog-friends to always stop by. :) The scarf is definitely my #1 project priority right now!

    Mary - Ruth Beechick is wonderful. We used her book Genesis: Finding our Roots last year when we studied ancient history -- love her!

    Debbie - Yes, camping. Can't wait!!

    Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Timothy and Jeanne Hisey8/10/2011

    I just finished The Help...great read. :) I love the scarf really delicate and lovely. AND...I love YOU my friend!
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i would be hurrying to get it done too! oxford sounds fantastic and i am jealous i am not the one going! lol. that color will stand out perfectly in the cool, overcast england winters.

    :)
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your project, the color, the pattern- it looks so soft on screen, can't imagine in person.
    Thanks for stopping by earlier, love your place, will have to stop by again!
    God Bless
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. hola
    hello

    I come from ginny's blog.

    kisses

    lorena

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary - I forgot to mention that the mug was a gift from a dear friend; I believe she bought it at Starbucks. :) Blessings! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...