Wednesday, August 3, 2011

On my needles...


The warm days of summer have finally arrived here in the Pacific NW and that means lazy Sunday afternoons of fellowship at the river with friends after church. While all the children make their way into the cool, cool water, the moms and dads tend to observe from the shore. Actually, many of the dads join the kids for a swim, but we moms seem to prefer a shady spot where we can watch all the fun. Oh, and knit, of course. :)

I managed to work up several rows of the lacy scarf I started last week and am thrilled with how it's turning out. I wish my camera could better represent the color of the yarn as it's more red than this picture portrays it to be.



Here are a few pictures of the completed baby beanie I was working on a couple weeks ago.




I love the way the self-striping yarn works up its own unique pattern. :) For anyone interested, I knit this up with a nylon/wool blend bulky yarn by Sensations using a pattern I made up several years ago (I like to call it my little acorn cap).

In the reading department, I'm continuing to work my way through The Help and am truly enjoying it. I am 1/5 of the way through the book as of today and am doubtful I'll finish by the movie's premiere August 10. I'm not giving up, though. :) Health for Godly Generations has been set aside for now, and The Kings Daughter continues to be a good choice for my mother/daughter time with AnnaLynn.

Finally, and because September will surely come, I'm rereading Karen Andreola's Charlotte Mason Companion to remind myself of why I do the homeschooling thing I do. A few quotes that stand out to me (there are so many good ones...):

"...one third of education is atmosphere."

and...

"We may not reach our ideals, but it is our fervent, faithful reaching towards them that matters greatly."

Food for thought.

~~~~~~~~~~

Sharing over at the Yarn Along. :)

9 comments:

  1. Look at that BEA U TI FUL red yarn! And the stitching is just as beautiful too. [o= Ohhh I wished we could stitch away at the same beach. Wouldn't that be sublime?

    Thank you for those quotes. They were a breath of fresh air for this long time homeschooling mama. I have lots of reading I want to do before fall gets here. So much CM reading it all is. I am going on my 17th yr of being a hs mama. We need to keep spurring one another one, okay? ((hugs))

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    PS:
    I need to get some of my ankle bracelets on Etsy. I love beading and anklets are so fun to wear. [o=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, well, I'd have to cross an entire state as well as an international border... Yes, it surely would be wonderful, wouldn't it?! :)

    Thanks for your kind words about the scarf; I want so much to finish it in time for my daughter to take when she leaves for Oxford in early Sept. Lord willing!

    You're welcome for the quotes. There are soooo many good ones in Karen's book! I find her writing to be just the encouragement I need every year. Looking forward to spurring one another on! What a great idea. :)

    Do you have an Etsy shop?

    Blessings back at ya! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have a Etsy account but haven't done anything with it. Life always seems so full to me and I haven't done anything with it. I always just have enough energy to do my two craft fairs and that takes what little extra energy I have. But I love taking orders here and there. [o=

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been away from blogland for about a week and it looks like you've gotten so much done! I love the beanie and the scarf. The yarn in the beanie is a real eye-catcher!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your knits are beautiful! I too am rereading my Companion. I've been rereading it so many years I should know it by heart (maybe I do) but it's still refreshing to read...

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sonia & Debbie - Thanks so much the sweet compliments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your knitted lace is coming along beautifully with its scallops and eyelets. When it comes to yarn, red is always my first choice.

    Because this is a "happy" blog I can't resist sharing what makes me happy. It is knowing that mothers are appreciating, and are encouraged by, the ideas in my book, A Charlotte Mason Companion. Seeing it pictured on a sandy beach with red yarn - we'll - I'm undone.
    Thank you for the delightful treat.

    I can relate to your knitting on a beach (sigh). Recently, I spent a blissful hour knitting at the Jersey shore when we visited my parents. I will always remember that little holiday when I see the sweater that is due to come off my needles soon. It will always be in the stitches.
    Karen A.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen - What an honor to have to "drop by" my happy little space here in blogland. :) Reading and rereading your book each year has been an inspiration and encouragement in setting the goals and atmosphere of our homeschool here in Dole Valley. :) Hope you'll share your sweater over on your blog when it's finished! Blessings to you and yours, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...