Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Gratituesday - What if?

"What if we woke up today with only the things we had thanked God for yesterday." 

I recently read this quote somewhere, and I wish I could remember where, but I don't. I guess I should be thankful I remembered the quote itself...

Surely, one would accomplish little else if all our time was spent in giving thanks.

But...

What if?

How often do we fail to give thanks? To say thank you? To count our blessings? How often are our thoughts filled with recounting a wrong or remembering an offense? How often are our thoughts focused on what we lack rather than what we do have?

What if?

What if we lived each day with gratitude?

For family. For friends. For land. For the abundance and comfort we daily enjoy. For books that inspire. For yarn. For time. For my youngest, AnnaLynn, who turns 11 tomorrow. For grace, mercy, and forgiveness.

For each and so much more I am thankful.

How about you? For what are you thankful today?

However many blessings we expect from God, His infinite liberality will always exceed all our wishes and our thoughts. ~John Calvin

Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. ~I Thessalonians 5:16-18

Join me for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers. Also sharing at: A Pause on the Path, Far Above Rubies, Living Well Wednesday, and Raising Homemakers. :)

7 comments:

  1. Saying "thank you" does not take long, yet, so many people ignore it. Since I have been working at the library, I realized that saying these two little words brings a smile every time.

    Be blessed today my friend!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful for timely reminders from women of faith! Thanks for sharing at Gratituesday and reminding me to give thanks in all circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For health, for parents nearby, for a comfortable home, for golden trees, for birds, for a warm cat on my feet, for children who love the Lord, for 1 daughter married, for work, for blogging buddies...

    Definitely the way to begin and end every day. Thanks Lisa!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one of the several reasons I like Gratituesday. I do not deserve any of which I have, but yet God is gracious and kind to me, and has blessed me with my husband and daughter and so many other things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read that not long ago, too, and it's been in my head ever since. We've started a family gratitude journal to help us count our blessings. At first we thought the kids were silly for saying 'chairs' and 'napkins' every day, and then we realized that they just have the fresh, innocent faith we all should have! Now we write down whatever anybody says, regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with all the comments above! We do not give thanks enough, although it does not take long to do (maybe 5 minutes out of your day). I read an article once that advised people to write down at least 5 things you are thankful for every day in a journal before you go to bed. This way, you feel good about yourself before you go to sleep (end the day on a positive note) and you can visually see all the things that you have to be thankful for. I try to do this as often as I can, although I haven't done it in a while. You will be amazed at how much better your sleep is and how refreshed you feel in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this quote. Thank you for this very important reminder. It is so important to give thanks to Our Lord but also say thank you to the people in our daily lives.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...