Wednesday, October 12, 2011

On my needles - Scarf update and those picture frames...



After a bit of reading in Karen Andreola's A Charlotte Mason Companion last week, I skipped ahead to the chapter entitled "Mother Culture" for a little more encouragement:
A fresh wind of change will revive you when you participate in Mother Culture. Some may say, "I simply have no time for myself." Others, "I don't think it is right to think of myself." Such mothers are stuck in a rut of self-sacrifice to the extent that they are starving themselves spiritually, mentally, and, consequently, emotionally.
and...
Mother must have time to herself...We need persistence to find time for ourselves, especially if our lives are hectic, hurried, and we have learned how to live on adrenaline in place of that highly practical virtue, fortitude.
Then is shared this quote by William Penn:
In the rush and noise of life, as you have intervals, be still. Wait upon God and feel his good presence; this will carry you evenly through your day's business.
Permission to set aside a portion of my day to indulge in a little knitting, reading, or thinking upon the things of God? I'll take it. Especially if it'll help me finish up Jessica's scarf!

As for the picture frames...



The frame on the left is an 8x10, and on the right is a 5x7; both thrift store purchases! I really enjoyed making these and will be making several more to sell, Lord willing, at my upcoming holiday bazaars (Oxford fund, remember?). If you're interested, you'll find instructions on how to create your very own crocheted jewelry display here.

Sharing at Ginny's Yarn Along :)
Also sharing at Fiber Arts Monday!

13 comments:

  1. Oh Lisa...they are beautiful! And you are so right, we do not need time for ourselves within our homes.

    Blessings my friend,

    Maria

    by the way, I am going to have to inter-library loan this book. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Andreola is a wise woman. I agree that Mothers DO need a little time alone in order to refresh their energy and get their thoughts in order. So, good for you that you don't feel guilty doing a little knitting work "on-the-side." :)

    At any rate, I like what you have done with the picture frames. I don't think I would have ever guessed that you would make jewelry displays with them. They are very nice. :)

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post :) The quotes are very timely for me. And I love the frames - they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotte Mason companion is a wonderful book. I like picking it up every now and then for some encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are such wonderful quotes. Now I need to listen to them. [o= Okay at 8:30 pm I am putting my feet up and ....knitting. [o= I need some yarn therapy, so bad!

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh btw your scarf is looking sooooooooo pretty! And I just love love love those earring holders. I am praying you do VERY well at your craft fairs.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that book. I go back for reference a lot. Great idea with earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scarf is coming along nicely! And beautiful color!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much, everyone, for your sweet words. :) Many blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I looked and looked for my Charlotte Mason Companion to take to my meeting the other night. Now I know where it was hiding... in Dole Valley!

    I've never knit a lace pattern but seeing that pattern in that color taking form.. I'm loving it! And they frames are a terrific idea. Thanks for sharing the link!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to make one of those frames...might do that TOMORROW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kathy, you'll have to let me know if you make one!! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...