Tuesday, January 24, 2012

On holiday...

Celebrating our 19th wedding anniversary (it was in August) only a few months late...





We drove about an hour and a half to McMenamins Grand Lodge in Forest Grove, Oregon.



Each guest room in what once was a "home for the aged and infirm" is named after a former resident. Our room (yes, Room 222 -- haha!) was named after Aldie Howard who, apparently, was responsible for bringing alcohol to what was a "dry" Forest Grove. He's not our hero...just sharing. :)



After checking in and dropping off our bags, we enjoyed sipping on a good red wine (me) and a Hammerhead (the husband) -- in honor of Aldie, of course. We also enjoyed a side of McMenamins famous Cajun tots. Nummy.



Whimsical artwork is everywhere...



Hammerhead.




Tile work in the basement...



Looking forward to this year's anniversary -- our 20th!






Holiday:  
1. A day free from work that one may spend at leisure, especially a day on which custom or the law dictates a halting of general business activity to commemorate or celebrate a particular event.

2. A religious feast day; a holy day.

3. Chiefly British A vacation. Often used in the phrase on holiday.

[from the Free Dictionary]

Yeah, so I know we're not British. I figure that since Jessica is living in Oxford that I'd take the liberty of borrowing a phrase. Besides, I'm just practicing for when we visit!

What are you thankful for today?

Join me for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers!

10 comments:

  1. LOL it took me awhile to get use to calling a vacation a holiday. That is what they say up here in Canada. So when you come visit you for sure can use the word "holiday". [o=

    I am so glad you two got a get away together. What a sweet couple you two are. Praying it was a blessing to you both. Maybe your 20th can be up north in the Kootenay's. [o=

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be soooo much fun! One of these days, Lord willing! ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  2. Hmmm...we may have to check this place out! Love the pictures of you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. :) You'll have to let me know if you ever go. We love McMensmins hotels! ~L

      Delete
  3. Hi Lisa! What a neat place!!! My dh would like it...it's "artsy" and unique, right up his alley! I think I would love Oregon...and I enjoy staying in old, quirky places, too. The trees, the wine, the food, it looks beautiful! So glad you had such a wonderful holiday, and I wish you a belated Happy 19th Anniversary, and look forward to your report of your 20 year celbration!

    Many Blessings,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lori! Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia are all very similar (Pacific NW), yet each beautiful and unique in their own ways. If you had your dh ever make it out this way, but sure to let us know you're coming! Blessings, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  4. My first thought was about Northern Ireland when I read your title!! My relatives talk about their holidays in Spain or France. I also enjoyed the photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! Oh boy, if we go anywhere in Europe, it will be to England to visit our daughter and son-in-law in Oxford. Lord willing!

      Blessings, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  5. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun! Can't wait to hear all about it on....Sunday night???? --I hope you are still coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't miss an opportunity for fellowship with your fam. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...